The establishment of the area now known as Davenport was in 1838 when the U.S. military set up Fort Davenport during the Second Seminole War, about 19 kilometers north of the current Davenport site. The fort was one of several built at 20 mile intervals along a trail from Fort Brooke to Fort Mellon. The fort only lasted a few years.
The fort was appointed to Colonel William Davenport, who served as the local US commander in the war. There is no known documentary evidence to support an alternative claim that the city was named after a railroad driver. The modern city of Davenport began in the 1880s when the South Florida Railroad was extended to that point.
The settlement was first known as Horse Creek, by the creek first recorded in an 1849 U.S. Army survey, which passes through the site to enter Snell Creek and eventually Lake Hatchineha in the Kissimmee River system. A post office was established at Horse Creek in 1884, and the name of the post office was changed to Davenport in 1886. Davenport was incorporated in 1915.
The South Florida Railroad opened a station half a mile north of the city's current location. In 1926 it was replaced by a new station in the city centre. It was closed in the 1970s. From 1958 to 1986, there was a second station, the Vertagreen Railway Station, open only for the transportation of fertilizers and not for public use.
Check below our 360º aerial image of historic Downtown Davenport.